- Gemfest is an annual community event
- Gemfest 2021
Gemfest is an annual community event
July 24 (9pam-4pm) and 25 (9am-3pm), with the club celebrating 60 years
24,25 July: Annual Gem Festival Community Event. Market stalls: Dealers, Jewellery. Experts, Food, Raffles. Find Gold. Learn about club and courses
From 9AM, 129 Mulgrave Rd
Friendly market stalls with
- Dealers including specimens and supplies. Bruno and Helen with their slabs are back!
- Jewellery, crafts
- Friendly experts. Ask questions and get guidance
- All day food and BBQ
- Kids activities (sandpit fossicking)
- Grand raffle
- Enter detector raffle to experience metal detecting and panning
- Peg your claim! One gold nugget prize each day.
- Visit club and see how inexpensive courses are run
- Off road parking
Minister Michael Healy Opens Gemfest 2021
Michael Healy, the QLD Government Assistant Minister for Tourism Industry Development and QLD Parliament member for Cairns opened Gemfest 2021 at 9am on Saturday 24 July.
Our three minute video shows Minister Michael Healy cutting 60th anniversary cake, acknowledging the club and members as well as mentioning traditional custodians of the land, the Olympics and making a lap (of stalls, not an Olympics track).
Photos From Gemfest
Please see Photos From Gemfest. Members, if you have photos from Gemfest you want included please, email them to the club.
Gemfest would not be possible without the help of many members from the club who generously donate their time and skills.
We will be keeping a growing list of Gemfest volunteers up to date.
There were more than 30 stallholders!
Link to complete list with images
COVID Safety Sign-in
Visitors to the Gem Festival are required to register by QR code with the Check In Qld app or by manual sign-in. Point your phone camera at code to launch app or download app. Register yourself and family or friends at the same time.
$1 a ticket, draw on Sunday afternoon
General Raffle Prize and Winners. 35 prizes were drawn!
DETECTOR RAFFLE (also experience metal detecting and panning)
$5 a ticket, draw on Sunday at 3pm
- Thanks to member Ian Maclean of Night Sky Secrets for asking his supplier of gold detectors for a donation. Ian draws metal detector winning ticket with result announced by Sokar Phillpot. .
- First Prize Garrett Australia donated a 200i gold detector for the first prize. Won by Freya Lyne. .
- Second prize, 1.5 gram gold nugget valued at $120. Donated by club. Won by Mark Rossi. Accepted by Mark’s daughter, Leonie, in photo below
PEG A CLAIM
$2 a numbered peg. Place your peg on a grid. Winning grid coordinates are drawn at 3pm Saturday and 3pm Sunday
On Saturday: gold nugget with sterling silver bail and synthetic ruby gemstone. Valued at $200. Donated by Trevor and Jan Hannam. Won by Elizabeth Peach.
On Sunday: gold nugget with sterling silver bail and cubic zirconia gemstone. Valued at $525. Donated by Trevor and Jan Hannam. Won by Axel Bor.
There are five gold nuggets to be won. Two in the grand raffle as jewellery pieces, two gold nuggets in the ‘Peg A Claim’ as jewellery pieces and one plain nugget in the detector raffle. The first four nuggets are donated by Trevor and Jan Hannam.
Thanks to Woolworths for donation of $50 voucher towards food costs
Club Logo to use with posters and other communication